#dnsbikegang

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DNS BOOK CLUB: KENK!

Photobucket

We all lived in Toronto during the reign of the Bicycle Clinic bike thefts, (including one of my own). We all watched the Igor Kenk saga unfold in the bike community, in the papers, and on the other side of Trinity Bellwoods park. So my interest was peaked when the graphic novel KENK was published earlier last year.

I'd been meaning to read it for a while. So after showing alongside Illustrator Nick Marinkovich in NYC last summer, I bought my own copy. And I'm so glad I did. (Unfortunately it got swallowed into the caverns of Irene's apartment for the last 6 months. But, happily on new years day over eggs florentine & warm weather, we were reunited).

I finished in in less than two days.

For those of you who have ever had your bike stolen - Or ride in general, regardless of location - Or simply enjoy a fascinating depiction of an interesting individual, in a book with impeccable timing - Or appreciate stunning artwork, which i could only describe as the lovechild of Jackson Pollock and Jamie Reid...

KENK is most definitely worth a read.

Below is one of my favourite excerpts. It's just too great not to share.

Photobucket

No comments: