#dnsbikegang

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The best part about fashion...

is accessories- hands down. Accessories make the outfit. If anyone tells you different- they are minimalists- so tell them to go back to the mid-nineties and stay there. That is why Fall is soooo awesome. You get to layer scarf over long sleeve top, over vest over hat over mitts over anther scarf over belt over neat new tights!!!....

Need more proof? Her is an old school photo of Big Red and Namtron wearing every accessory backstage at the Toronto Wildlife Show... Accessory gluttony was the term coined... so combining bikes with accessories is amazing squared in my world.

So yesterday I gots paid!!! Money means accessories in my poor world. I went to my favourite local bike place Urbane to see my friends Chris and Mike and any hot bicycle boys that may be around... (FYI: Urbane is GREAT for hot-bike-boy watching.) I needed to get a back light for this month's Critical Mass. You see, Big Red and I had to get off our bikes and walk last time because at 7:30ish the cops stopped us C.M Bicyclists and said they would be ticketing anyone who didn't have lights as of this point. I am not sure if this douche-bag behaviour is in keeping with Toronto's new "Toronto Bikes, why don't you?" campaign that has been going on... but to be honest it is the law.

So I need a light- and did Urbane have the COOLEST new line of bike lights! KNOG is a young-hip company out of Oz. Their philosophy? "KNOG loves bikes and bike gear for the city streets- simple" Swoon... however they don't talk at all about eco-ness or sustainability which is a huge demerit point. Not knowing of any other sustainable bike light company, and loving the LED lights, I got a light-seafoam coloured frog. The light is stored in a soft rubber shell that wraps around your seat post. It's very bright and easy to come on and off. Most importantlyy it is NEAT AS HELL.

Second awesome accessory were reflective leg-band thingies. Now, I usually don't care for that look... but seeing the hand-made in Germany Fahrer bands made me change my mind! They are made out of boat-covers, truck tarpaulins, etc. One of a kind, well made, sustainable, prevents you from being killed... What more can a girl ask for?


God I love bike accessories. Whoever invented them should be given a Nobel prize.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha "over another scarf"

A5 said...

Those little lights are awesome. I have a couple o' thems as well. They light up my life. :O

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

the person who invented accesories was the person who had too much stuff but a junior bachelor apartment with not enough storage space so they had to wear all of their belongings at once instead.

Anonymous said...

sorry i wrote the same thing twice so i deleted it.

~MegO! said...

Jesi, what your head generates fills me with joy.

canadienne said...

This blog is awesome! I'm from Toronto, but moved to L.A. 2 years ago to work as a Graphic Designer, and have since become an addicted cyclist. I belong to a huge community of cyclists called Midnight Ridazz (www.midnightridazz.com)

It's really common for cops around here to give tickets for no lights too (and just recently for no bicycle registration!) I used to have a Knog Frog but upgraded to the Knog Bullfrog which is brighter. I love them. The rear lights aren't very bright though... so I use the Planet Bike Super Flash. Unfortunately not as pretty, but damn bright!

Anyway, I look forward to reading this!