#dnsbikegang

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

ho ho ho.

winter time = hibernation. And yet surprisingly for me, hibernation = procrastination too. Like right now.

Right now I should be working on a fellow nightshades tattoo design…. but instead I am going to write on here. This is because a) I am easily distracted b) everything I draw looks terrible (tomorrow. i promise nam. for real. promise).

Winter also = CHRISTMAS. Probably my favorite holiday. Maybe more so, since i stopped working retail.

But you know whats crazy about christmas time. Annually, North Americans spend over 450 BILLION dollars on the holidays. Our continent alone. Every. Year. I don’t even really know how to wrap my head around that number.

Here’s another crazy stat. Do you know what the estimated cost of making clean water available to the entire world? Around 10 – 13 billion. Still a rather large number… and yet not in perspective.

Don’t get me wrong. I love Christmas. I love presents. But maybe it’s time we rethink our gifting. Rethink the way we’re spending our 450 billion dollars, if we’re going to spend it. To buy green. Buy used. Buy fair trade. Buy locally.

Or maybe just buy less. Make more? We’re all crafty DIY kids. What better a time then now, to put our skills to use.

…and hey, if it comes to boxing day and you’ve still got some spare cash floating around you didn’t spend on presents. Here's a pretty neat way to spend it too...I know. I know. Everyone gets scared away when anything’s remotely religious. But come on, it’s christmas time. EVERYTHING’S remotely religious. Get over it. They’re doing good stuff.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

Agreed. Have you heard of this: http://www.buyhandmade.org ?? It's been going for a few years now. This is the second year in a row that I've done entirely handmade gifts for everyone on my list. It saves money and is way way way way more fun.

Phil Johnston said...

"Everyone gets scared away when anything’s remotely religious. But come on, it’s christmas time. EVERYTHING’S remotely religious. Get over it. They’re doing good stuff."

Um...

naamers said...

word to the laura.